A few months ago, Ed Decter of Constanin Film announced that a television adaptation of Cassandra Clare’s popular book series, The Mortal Instruments, was set to start filming this year. The show it set to premier in 2016. The excitement for the show has died down now, so I have decided to share with you everything you need to know about ABC Family’s Shadowhunters.
- Matthew Daddario (Alec Lightwood) originally auditioned for the role of Jace Lightwood. Upon seeing his audition, author Cassandra Clare told the casting directors he’d make a better Alec, and he got the role.
- The TV series is set to premiere on ABC Family in early 2016. 13 episodes have been commissioned but the season could contain more based on the popularity of the show.
- The first episode, the pilot, is titled ‘The Mortal Cup’. It is said to show the Institute in this episode.
- The whole cast of Shadowhunters are reading The Mortal Instruments series so they can understand the characters they play more.
- While the show was just announced, the shows Twitter asked a series of tweets about who they would want to play these characters. There was an overwhelming response to the idea of Simon Lewis being played by his actor in the movie: Robert Sheehan.
- In the books Maureen Johnson was a 14 year old fan of Simon Lewis and had a crush on him. In the show Maureen is played by Shailene Garnett who is in her 20s and is part of Simon’s band.
- The characters have been aged up, by at least 2-3 years.
- Cassandra Clare – author of The Mortal Instruments – met the cast on the 11th of July, 2015 and said that they all love their characters and can relate to them in some way.
- Characters who came later on in the books (like Magnus Bane and Meliorn), have been brought in earlier in the show.
- Stephen R. Hart played Brother Jeremiah in the movie The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones and has now been cast in the same role for the TV series Shadowhunters.
- The director and others have been rumored to be adding more in-depth scenes of the relationship between Magnus Bane, High Warlock of Brooklyn, and Alec Lightwood, Shadowhunter.
I can’t wait for Shadowhunters to come out, and I’m extremely excited to see how they have adapted it for TV!
(These facts are collated from here)